Photo Gallery (Click an image to englarge and begin scrolling)
Their Great Magic By Terence Patrick Hughes (Lake Hill, NY)
Desert Song By Mark Cornell (Chapel Hill, NC)
- This play will receive its world premiere production at The Sauk in September 2022.
Pre-Existing Condition By Tiffany Thatcher (Homer, MI)
2020(Click a show title to watch the live reading on Youtube.)
On Pine Knoll Street by Mark Cornell (Chapel Hill, NC)
- This play was produced as a fully-staged production in February 2020. A world premiere!
- This play was an award-winning play in the AACT NewPlayFest 2020.
The Pattern of All Patience by Jacqueline Loy (Fort Myers, Fl)
Tipping Point by Paul McKinley (Bronson, MI)
Timmy's Big Kiss by Matthew Weaver (Spokane, WA)
Acts of Expiation by Joseph Allen Smith (Ocala, FL)
Trees by Penny Neer (Hillsdale, MI)
On Art by Josh Oberlander (Atlanta, GA)
Twelve Wild Swans by Kathryn Willis (Lansing, MI)
The Flower Girls by Lindsay McNair Patton (Fletcher, NC)
- This play was produced at The Sauk in September 2018. A world premiere!
- The first act of this play was taken to AACTFest state competition in February 2019.
Ember by Max McCreary (Atlanta, GA)
Zombie Apocalypse: A Love Story by Tim Ambrose & Jeffrey Connolloy (Pittsford, MI)
Ephemera by MJ Dulmage (Hillsdale, MI)
The Inheritance by Bud Vear (Hillsdale, MI)
Friday, July 1, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
By G.M. (Bud) Thompson (Grand Rapids, MI)
A mother and son struggle to adapt to the new life they unexpectedly find themselves in. Try as they might to make the best of it, painful memories and frustration complicate their efforts to get on with living.
- Dan Todde - late teens/early 20s, son of Jackie
- Jackie Todde - 40s, mother of Dan
- Ted Riddling - 30-40s, husband and father
- Michele Riddling - 12ish, daughter
- Maggie Riddling - 30-40s, wife and mother
- Rev. Valerie Simmons - 30-40s, mother of Michele's friend
- Nick Forskare - 40s or up, paranormal investigator
- Allison Moyen - 40s or up, psychic medium
By Meaghan Bryant (North Adams, MI)
All families face challenges. But the Matthews family is facing their biggest challenge yet. Will they rise to the occasion and succeed? Will they fail? Will they kill each other before they reach the finish line? Mom, Amy, is eager to find out.
- Amy Matthews, mother
- Bill Matthews, father
- Tyler Matthews, teenage son
- Hailey Matthews, pre-teen or teenage daughter
- Shirley Matthews, grandmother
Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
A Shore of Abundance
By Pearl Moore (Cana, Va)
A Shore of Abundance is about a young seventeen-year-old girl named Eleanor who creates a world in which she is the captain of her own pirate ship in order to escape from her life, in which she has no control or power. In the real world, she wants to search for her biological father after finding out that the father who raised Eleanor her whole life isn't her real father. On top of this, she is pressured to start figuring out what she should do for her future. With it all being too much for her mind she escapes into her pirate world where she goes on a journey to find her pirate father who has been taken by a sea witch. It is up to Eleanor to find items of three in order to trade the items for her pirate father's safe return. This is a play with an epic hero story with sword fights, a sea shanty, and a mermaid rap battle that will have audiences hoping that the adventure never ends.
- Eleanor Brooks/Captain Brooks- A young creative seventeen-year-old girl who is desperate to escape her real world. When she’s Captain Brooks she’s confident, determined, but is reckless in getting what she wants.
- Sarah- Eleanor’s best friend since childhood. Sarah loves her friend and would do anything for her. She is very real in both worlds.
- JJ/Princess Juniper- He is Eleanor’s older brother who thinks he knows what’s best for Eleanor. When he is Princess Juniper, he is a runaway princess who wants to play his music and keep things fun on the shore for Captain Brooks.
- Caroline/Sea Witch/Guard- Caroline is Eleanor’s mother who constantly gets into arguments with Eleanor, but she has a deep heart that cares for her daughter. Eleanor has specifically cast her mother as the villain of her other world.
- Alistair/Arctic/King Aldrich/Pirate Father- Alistair is not Eleanor’s biological father but is the one who raised her. Alistair has made many mistakes with his parenting skills, but he is trying his best.
The Sauk is dedicated to the development of new theatrical works. Each year, we present staged readings of new plays still in the process of being written. After the readings, we invite the audience to respond to what they have heard. When they can, the playwrights attend these readings and join the discussion. These works may include adult themes and/or strong language. This is a free event.
Plays-in-Development is a Pay What You Can event. No advance ticket sales.
Seating is first-come, first-serve. Seating begins at 7 p.m. each night.
HILLSDALE COUNTY'S COMMUNITY THEATRE