Plays-in-Development is a Pay What You Can event. No advance ticket sales.
Seating is first-come, first-serve. Seating begins at 7 p.m. each night.
The Sauk is dedicated to the development of new theatrical works. Each year, we present staged readings of new plays still in the process of being written. After the readings, we invite the audience to respond to what they have heard. When they can, the playwrights attend these readings and join the discussion.
These works may include adult themes and/or strong language. This is a 'Pay What You Can' event.
HILLSDALE COUNTY'S COMMUNITY THEATRE
Photo Gallery (Click an image to englarge and begin scrolling)
The House By Elisa Manzini (Los Angeles, CA)
The Lost Recording By Jo Ann Simon (Danbury, CT) and Jennifer Yokell (Hillsdale, MI)
The Lion in the Snow Globe By Paul Lewis (Bainbridge Island, WA)
With Regards to Marty McFly By Linda Howard Cooke (Hastings, NE)
Living By G.M. (Bud) Thompson (Grand Rapids, MI)
The Challenge By Meaghan Bryant (North Adams, MI)
- This play received its world premiere production as part of the SAUK SHORTS 2023.
A Shore of Abundance By Pearl Moore (Cana, VA)
Their Great Magic By Terence Patrick Hughes (Lake Hill, NY)
Desert Song By Mark Cornell (Chapel Hill, NC)
- This play received its world premiere production at The Sauk in September 2022.
- An hour-long cutting of this play was taken to Michigan AACTFest in March 2023. It won!
- The hour-long cutting of the play competed in the Region 3 AACTFest in April 2023.
Pre-Existing Condition By Tiffany Thatcher (Homer, MI)
2020(Click a show title to watch the live reading on Youtube.)
On Pine Knoll Street by Mark Cornell (Chapel Hill, NC)
- This play was produced as a fully-staged production in February 2020. A world premiere!
- This play was an award-winning play in the AACT NewPlayFest 2020.
The Pattern of All Patience by Jacqueline Loy (Fort Myers, Fl)
Tipping Point by Paul McKinley (Bronson, MI)
Timmy's Big Kiss by Matthew Weaver (Spokane, WA)
Acts of Expiation by Joseph Allen Smith (Ocala, FL)
Trees by Penny Neer (Hillsdale, MI)
On Art by Josh Oberlander (Atlanta, GA)
Twelve Wild Swans by Kathryn Willis (Lansing, MI)
The Flower Girls by Lindsay McNair Patton (Fletcher, NC)
- This play was produced at The Sauk in September 2018. A world premiere!
- The first act of this play was taken to AACTFest state competition in February 2019.
Ember by Max McCreary (Atlanta, GA)
Zombie Apocalypse: A Love Story by Tim Ambrose & Jeffrey Connolloy (Pittsford, MI)
Ephemera by MJ Dulmage (Hillsdale, MI)
The Inheritance by Bud Vear (Hillsdale, MI)